2012年6月14日星期四

What fascinates you about Legos?

What do you love about your work?
What I love about Legos is, you can always redo your work, as many times as needed. I don’t redo my work that often Coach Outlet Online store, but I like having the option — it gives me the impetus to keep on going.

It was our managing editor, George Gene Gustines, who suggested we do a T made of Legos for our winter travel issue. “I’m a huge fan of Legos and spent hours building houses and superheroes out of them as a kid,” he said. “Of all my childhood toys Coach Outlet Online store, I probably miss them the most.” Representatives at Lego led us to Sachiko Akinaga.

How long did it take you to create the T?
Eleven days. There were many days worked nonstop, in 16-hour shifts.

What drew you to creating worlds out of Lego?
I’ve always loved Legos as a child. I didn’t have a lot of toys growing up, so I made do with the ones I had, and I became especially obsessed with Lego. I would spend hours trying to make things with it.

What was the biggest challenge you faced?
Creating the round edges of the T and coming up with the layout of the rooftop.

As an expert Lego sculptor, Akinaga has enviably turned child’s play into a profession. From animal musicians to jumbo parfaits, Akinaga has created intricate worlds of whimsy. Here, she shares some of her brick-building insights with The Moment.

What was your inspiration for this T?
Central Park Coach Outlet Online store, of course.

What is unusual about this T?
It’s tremendously larger than anything else I have done. Including the surrounding park area, it’s about 6 by 6 feet (roughly 2 by 2 meters), which is four times more than the Earth Park project I created.

What fascinates you about Legos?
As a graphic designer, I’ve always been fascinated with dot-matrix art and pixelations. Simiarly, Legos create a pixelated effect, like here with the T logo. The human eye, though, will smooth out the T to erase the lines of pixelation, so to speak. Similarly the trees, though square on the edges, appear round. I love how the brain trains the eye to see things in this way.

T stands for _______________.
The word tanoshii, or fun, in Japanese. In every project I do, I hope to create something fun. If the viewer finds enjoyment in what I do, I have succeeded. It also has a surprise. There are four people reading The New York Times. See if you can spot them!

Related:

没有评论:

发表评论